Stopping smoking can make a drastic improvement to your lifestyle and health in ways you might not expect. Once you stop smoking, some of the health benefits are immediate and some are longer-term.
You will save money - the average smoker has 13 cigarettes a day, which works out as 364 cigarettes a month. That's £141 a month and £1,696 a year that you could be saving by not smoking. Use our cost calculator to work out how much you could save Your sense of taste will return and you will enjoy the taste of food more. Your breathing and general fitness will improve. The appearance of your skin and teeth will improve. You'll be more confident in social situations because you won't smell of stale smoke any more. Your fertility levels will improve, along with your chances of having a healthy pregnancy and baby.
If you want to quit, you're up to four times more likely to succeed with NHS support. See your local pharmacy or GP, or call:
- County Durham NHS Stop Smoking Service -0800 011 3405
- Darlington NHS Stop Smoking Service 0300 123 1044 (national quitline only)
- Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland Stop Smoking Service 0800 531 6317
- Newcastle NHS Stop Smoking Service 0191 2292911
- Northumberland NHS Stop Smoking Service 01670 813135
- North Tyneside NHS Stop Smoking Service 0345 2000 101
- Tees NHS Stop Smoking Service (Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland, Stockton and Hartlepool) 01642 383819